Friday, November 04, 2005

Dead Head

Sometimes I wonder about my own mental capacity. Truth be told, I've gone through the majority of my life thinking of myself as an intelligent person. I did okay in school without trying too hard. My SAT score was average. I graduated college without ever once fearing that I wouldn't and I've been employed ever since. I can sometimes even finish the Sunday Times crossword puzzle... in PEN!!! Smart. Not brilliant... but definitely smart. Now I wonder.

Today (and it was not the first time this has happened ) I took my daily morning shower and only realized when I had FINISHED blowdrying my hair that something was awry. I did not rinse the conditioner that I had generously applied. My hair was a moldable, greasy mess. Already clean and dressed, I didn't have the time or patience to go through the whole process again, so here I sit with my flattened coif, wondering why I couldn't remember that simple shower step. My showers last approximately 10 minutes. 15 if I shave my legs. The whole process takes, what, eight easy steps MAX? Steps I've repeated for YEARS. There is not a whole heck of a lot to remember. So why can't I?

Unfortunately, my air headedness extends beyond the shower walls. I can remind myself 20 times to take my umbrella. I will put the umbrella in front of the door. I will then walk outside and realize that I don't have my umbrella. Sometimes I forget my bank account number or my zip code. Many times I am out of t.p. for days, even after I repeatedly stare at the empty spool and reprimand myself for being so stupid, stupid, stupid! Need milk? Don't expect me to remember it. But I will pick up another thing of grated cheese to add to the 5 already in the fridge, because I forgot whether or not we had any left! I'm good with birthdays, though. Not that that will do you any good... I'll remember your birthday but leave your gift in my apartment, repeatedly, until it's lost its relevance. Better luck next year,... what was your name again?

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

The mind is truly the first thing to go. I think I've adopted some curse that causes me to forget one item every day, and I don't realize it's missing until I'm at work.

I've forgotten my work badge (which I need to just get in the door), my office key, my wallet...sometimes if I'm too tired in the morning I'll forget deodorant. OK you didn't need to know that.

I sympathize with your plight. I hear that they make herbal supplements that improve your memory. If I could just remember to take them...

7:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home