Monday, November 14, 2005

Fit as a (Chocolate-Covered) Fiddle

As I sit here, in my too-tight pants, finishing up my lunch after having just read a trashy magazine depicting photos of too-skinny celebs, I wonder: how come it is so hard to get and stay in shape, and so easy to get out of it?

Having complete three marathons in my life, I feel like I've done enough work. I should be able to remain thin and fit forever without having to run any more miles. But once the exercise stops, the "fit phase" doesn't last that long at all. And what happens is such a tease... I stop exercising, and think that I am actually maintaining a great weight and possibly even getting skinnier. So I eat all the cheese and ice cream I want and don't think twice. UNTIL... I realize what was actually happening was that I was losing muscle mass and was quickly on my way to becoming a soft, flabby, chubby, unfit woman. Very depressing. So depressing, I need more ice cream.

So then I decide, enough of this! I will get back into shape. How hard can it be? I've done it before. OK, I guess it is true that the older you get, the more you have to work to stay fit. I am going to be 33 years old. I cannot run 2 miles these days without crying. My knee hurts me when I stand up after sitting for a while and sometimes even when I'm sleeping. The drive to get up and exercise is low. The flab-index under my arms is high.

But then I see the photos of Nicole Richie, looking like a 12-year-old girl and realize that it is not sexy. Curves are sexy! My fiance tells me that he likes my soft parts and that I am skinny enough. My clothes, though tighter, do still fit after all. So, that justifies my daily trip to the vending machine for my mid-afternoon Snickers bar. I will try again tomorrow to go for my 1.67 mile morning run, but if it doesn't happen, I always have my "broken" knee to blame it on.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

You're looking at it all wrong. If you tone up, lose it, tone up, lose it (repeat process), then you are constantly making progress! You'll never hit that plateau where you stop making progress.

Plus, fast food and ice cream tastes good. I don't plan on living forever, I want to enjoy the ride. I think I smell funnel cake...

3:44 PM  
Blogger Tracy said...

I'm with you, Chris. Seize the day, and the Oreos!

4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home