Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Curiousity Killed the Cat

I am at work today. Despite the transit strike, here I am. Is it because I have a very important job? No. I work in advertising. Big deal. Is it because I couldn't afford to not come to work today? No. Nothing is going on. Is it because I am the most dedicated of all employees? No. I bitch about my job all the time. Truth be told, it's because I was so curious to see what the city was like today. I couldn't sit in my apartment, in the warmth. I had to venture out and risk losing my fingertips just so I could be a part of it all. I walked 50 blocks in the bitter cold to get to my desk. What did I see? Not much. The streets were eerily quiet. Taxis were charging $15/person... at least they will have a little extra money in their pockets this holiday season. Tourists were out in full-force, like any other day. Stores were open, coffee was hot. But here in the office it is DEAD. Now, of course, I regret coming in. Because later tonight, when it's even colder, I will have to do it all over again, in the opposite direction to get to my cozy apartment, where I could have justifiably spent the day. Why am I so stupid, stupid, stupid!?

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

50 blocks?!? Screw that, I'd rather take a cab, but I suppose if you're paying $15 for a cab ride, there's really no benefit to going into work in the first place. Forget public transportation, you'll either get pickpocketed or you'll smell like urine the rest of the day.

At least that's how New York mass transit is portrayed in movies. I get my information from "Escape From New York" and "The Warriors". Those were documentaries, right?

12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home