Friday, December 09, 2005

If I Could Inject It, I Would

It's hard for anyone to admit they have a problem... but here it goes. My name is Tracy and I am a coffee-aholic. Whew. That wasn't so bad. I used to think that I didn't have a problem, that I could quit anytime I wanted, that I don't NEED coffee. But then I realized that if I don't get my morning cup o' joe, I end up with a splitting headache with no relief in sight. Either I have a cup of coffee in the morning before 10:AM, or I end up popping aspirin all day trying to alleviate the pain that no amount of caffeine can cure at that point.

When my sister and I were little, after church with my dad we would go to my grandmother's house every week and be treated to donuts and sweet coffee. (It does not stunt your growth, by the way... my sister is now 5'9".) Coffee is an integral part of those childhood memories. I don't remember when I started drinking it on my own, but I am now totally hooked.

I just recently got a coffee maker (one of the "perks" of getting engaged) but before that, I could not sleep in on the weekends because I had to get up, get dressed and go down to the local deli for a cup. Now I can brew my own and awaken to the delicious aroma every Saturday and Sunday and I've never been happier.

I tried to quit not too long ago, tired of being a puppet to my caffeine fix. Thought it would make me healthier, happier, with better breath and whiter teeth. But it didn't. Who was I, if not a coffee-drinker? Where was my identity? No coffee... now what? And what would my grandmother think? After all, if you aren't having a warm cup of something in the morning, she does not understand. Wake up and have a glass of orange juice? It's just not the same! And think about it. In all the trashy celeb mags, the stars walk around with coffees the size of their over-sized heads as if it is a part of them. Whether it be a way for them to tell the readers that they only look disheveled b/c they just woke up or because it is just cool, I buy into the whole thing.

So off the wagon I happily hopped, and am back to being my java-gulping self. But I only have one cup a day, so that doesn't make me a true addict, right? I can quit. But I want to be cool, too, so I just won't.

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

It's OK that you're having fun and expermenting with this stuff, but I worry about you...I've had too many friend think they didn't have a problem, and then they start moving over to the hard stuff. Chai. Latte. Espresso. Cappuccino.

Then as the addiction takes hold, they need it more and more, so they start buying the pure stuff in bulk from Starbucks. It used to be a drink for special occaisions, celebrations...then it's a daily habit. They can't function without it.

White chocolate mocha. Vanilla latte. Caramel macchiato. Different street names for the same drug. Don't let it get to this point Tracy. I'll be praying for you.

9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home