Monday, December 05, 2005

Waiting for... what, exactly?

I will admit that I am not the nicest person in the world. I can be moody. I can get angry at silly things. I can be irrational. But I am usually pretty polite to people in general. I love to travel. And I also love to tell stories about the rudeness of humanity after my travels.

For example, I had arrived to Dulles airport with my sister and my little nephew, 6-months-old. Her husband was picking us up so we were waiting patiently curbside. There was a man standing in the street, waiting eagerly for his ride to appear. We saw my bro-in-law pull up but he couldn't get to us b/c that man was in the middle of the road. In addition, he was blocking the only place where she and I could walk through. We said "Excuse me, sir" and he WOULD NOT MOVE. My bro-in-law laid on his horn, and he still would not move. His wife finally had to get him to grudgingly move. But not without mumbling something derogatory under his breath. My rage takes over. "Excuse me, sir? What was that? You said something?" I say. He doesn't respond. Remember, we have a little baby and stroller and baggage and his ride is still not even there. I think he may have called us "assholes" to which my sister says to his sorry wife "you must be really proud to have married such a jerk". We pack up the car eventually, then have to back up in order to get out of the spot. Again, he won't move. His wife says "They expect us to keep moving for them." The guy did not stop his mumbling and calling us names and so we drove away, angry, blaming the altercation on his obvious mental instability, while he continued to wait for his ride. To be honest, I wouldn't be so quick to pick him up either!!!

Then, just yesterday, I was in San Juan International airport with a friend, going to check ourselves in. We had no bags to check and know how to use the automated machines. We walk past an airline employee who is talking casually to a man. She stops to ask where we are going and we tell her. She lets us go, to which the man replies "Typical New Yorkers, don't give a damn about anybody" to which I said "Wow, you're pleasant". (I know, I have to work on my retorts.) We checked in and headed to the gate, only to notice that that man was STILL THERE, talking to the same woman and not appearing to be in a rush to check in or go anywhere for that matter.

So my question is this, why are the guys that are in the process of WAITING for something in airports, so damn rude to those of us who have an actual agenda? Both times, we did nothing to provoke the incident but ended up with a bad case of airport rage and a story to tell afterwards.

3 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Airports are the epicenter of indifference. No matter what is going on around them, each person believes they may inconvenience everyone else since their problem is MUCH more important.

Like if a flight gets cancelled, the assholes will try to cut in line at the customer service desk, even if everyone else in line is there because of the same cancellation.

Or at the baggage pickup area, people will stand directly in front of you, because their presence influences the laws of physics and forces their 13 suitcases out sooner.

Mostly I hate the ones that jump the gun when the various sections are called to board the plane. People in the front try to get on too early, and everyone else has to wait as they stuff their enormous carry-on in the overhead compartment. Thanks dickhead.

11:48 AM  
Blogger Tracy said...

Chris, can I link you to my blog?

5:03 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Ooh was I supposed to ask permission first? Sorry 'bout that, I linked yours when TK showed it to me a couple weeks ago.

But yeah I'd love a link ;)

5:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home