Tuesday, February 21, 2006

A 14-Year-Old Boy at Heart

I miss the days of being young, getting pirated floppy discs from my male cousins which contained tons of great games to play on my Commodore 64. Jumpman. Mystery at Marple Manor. Bruce Lee. I used to get yelled at by my mom constantly to "go outside and play!". But riding my bike was not as much fun. I wanted to jerk on that joystick all day long (get your minds out of the gutter... I am a girl and my jerking on joysticks was just that) until eventually I wouldn't be able to move left.

After the Commodore became obsolete and we moved onward and upward to Calecovision (how do you even spell that... argh, who cares... Atari was better) with the slow-moving tanks and little fighter planes and finally to Nintendo, I was so hooked on The Legend of Zelda, that I would forego sleep to try and bomb walls and find more secret entrances. I loved that game so much, and still long to play it now. My brother's stepson has the latest and greatest games but, hope as I may as I rummaged through his stack of games that he would have it, they are all sports or hunting based. No interest for a girl like me who just wants to gather jewels, buy things and find labryinths.

So I searched and searched the web, hoping somewhere there was a Zelda clone resembling the world I loved so much. I did find the exact Jumpman, playable only on PC (doesn't help me much b/c though I have both a mac and pc at work, I only have a mac at home... can't very well be seen playing videogames in my corporate world!) Oh, just to be back there, where things are easy, even when they are complex. No shooting cops or deer or hoops... just collecting and searching and discovering the wonderful world inside that luminous screen. Sigh...

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

I have been craving the return of fun games like that! Not another first-person-shooter, or the next installment of Grand Theft Auto...and sports games are really only fun for people that can recognizing faces and enjoy game statistics. Not my style.

I have some suggestions though. Check out Amazon.com (and Best Buy I think) for an Atari-style controller that holds like 20 classic games.

For some retro-Nintendo action, do a Google search for "Nintendo emulator". An emulator is the quivalent of having a Nintendo built-in to your computer. Just find a website that allows you to download ROM files for Nintendo, open the file up through the emulator the same way you'd open a Word document, and you're instantly transported to the late 80's! Then again, you have a Mac, so I don't know how well it will work...

*chuckles to himself*

3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home