Friday, February 17, 2006

Please Support Me

I don't want to work anymore. I want to quit my job and spend my days running around the city, going to yoga and browsing the bookstore, and my evenings in my apartment, cooking up exotic dishes, waiting for the hubby to come home from work. Candles lit. Music playing. A glass of wine in my hand.

I mean, I feel like I've been working FOREVER. I was babysitting at 13 and got my first real job at 15 or 16, to pay for gas for my first car. Worked through college, to pay for beer and worked the summers between. Got a job immediately after graduating. Never got to take the summer off to go and tour Europe. Never even went away on Spring Break. So I need ... I DESERVE... some time off!

But the problem is, the more money you make, the more you spend. Then you get used to living a certain way and need to support your newfound lifestyle. I would die without my paycheck. So I am making a change... I am moving into a different department here at my company. I will work normal hours (10-6... YIPPEE!!!!) and will no longer make overtime. So, yes, there will be a pay cut but I will have my nights back. I will be able to make plans with my friends and not have to cancel all the time. I will still be getting a paycheck and my benefits and vacation time will all remain the same. I will be working on a MAC, which, in all seriousness, is all that truly matters to me.

And, maybe next year, I will quit for good. Is 35 too young to retire?

3 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

I wish 28 was retirement age.

I feel your pain though, I got my first real job 2 months before my 16th birthday (per Delaware child labor laws), and have been working ever since. I've been working on my Bachelor's degree at night for the last 10 years, working full time during the day. I'm a little tired.

Thankfully I don't get paid much since I don't have a degree, so I'm not accustomed to your fancy elitist lifestyle. No caviar for dinner parties with the mayor, I don't get champagne at every meal, and I don't have a 3500-sq ft house completely carpeted with emu fur.

8:04 AM  
Blogger Tracy said...

oh, but you forget... I live in Manhattan! The luxurious lifestyle I refer to means I can currently afford to pay rent on my tiny one bedroom apartment. And eat $10 salads for lunch.

9:15 AM  
Blogger Does Debbie said...

Does this mean it's official?? If so, CONGRATS!!

8:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home