Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Smile, You're on Candid Camera!

I am a sucker for reality TV. I know there are people out there who hate it, but I just eat it up. If it can't be reality, then give me faux reality like The Office. I love it I love it I love it. So last night I watched the season finale of The Bachelor. He picked the girl-next-door (literally) kinda boring, sorta attractive, definitely stable girl as opposed to the California-based, adventurous, too-deep-for-her-own-good basket case. I didn't see the spark between the Bach and the girl he picked, but editing is a surefire way to trick the viewers and keep us coming back for more. Who doesn't love the bad girl, when it comes to shows like this.

Now, as much as I love reality TV, I would NEVER subject myself to that kind of humiliation. Unless, of course, it meant going on The Amazing Race... a show like that, I'd do in a heartbeat. But The Bachelor... I mean, how humiliating. It's embarrassing enough to go on a first date... the awkwardness, the judgmentalness, the uncertainty... but then to do it in front of a camera for all the world to see. Fine, chalk it up to a once-in-a-lifetime thing. But even the toughest chick will get a chink in her armor when dumped on national television - it pretty much sucks for everyone to see you get booted off a cheesey reality show. Why do these women do it? And then get caught up in it so badly that they end up crying to the camera during their final limo ride back to their REAL real world... "I just don't understand! I feel so stupid! Why didn't he pick me??? What's wrong with me?!!"

Well, I have an idea of what's wrong with you. You are on a show in which you are trying to find love thru competition. You are hoping for the fantasy dates and the home town dates because then you have a couple more hours to get to know this person (who you will, of course, fall in love with because you are that predictable) and hopefully will end up getting another rose in the process, which you will happily accept. I want to see the person who is given a rose but decides that they don't really like the guy after all. Seriously, how the hell can 25 women all feel the same for one guy? So next time, to the girl who almost gets picked, in the limo ride home, smile and say "I did it all for my 15-minutes of fame. I didn't really like him anyway. And he's not that cute in person and kind of has bad breath." Because if you look like a psycho-chick who is devastated by some guy you barely know, it's gonna be even harder for you to find a post-Bachelor boyfriend.

Oh, FYI: I liked Moana, and am glad that stick-in-the-mud Travis didn't pick her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home