Monday, February 13, 2006

Valentine Schmalentine

I do not like Valentine's Day. I never have. Could be that I spent most of my life being single, hoping the boy I liked would slip a Snoopy card into my cubby box when I was young and hoping, as I got older, that I would get surprise flowers from a secret admirer. Those things never happened. Even later in life, sitting at my corporate job, I would hear the squeals of delight from the women around me as they received their bouquets of flowers from their admirers and could feel my hatred for this "holiday" grow. It was like the popular kids are still popular and thrive on days such as V-day to keep their already-swollen ego stroked. And people like me sit and grow bitter. I am not bitter - I just refuse to subscribe to the mush mentality that takes over on February 14th.

Now that I am married, I told my husband when we met that I am not into Valentine's Day. If he'd like to get me a card, that was fine, but I don't need chocolates or dinner or flowers. I don't want to sit in an over-crowded restaurant , or to be the person who gets the biggest bouquet of over-priced roses with the biggest teddy bear clutching a satin heart. I like chocolate but don't need a huge heart-filled box of candy that isn't even that great (why do they stuff chocolate w/ orange and pink creams... but I digress.)

In addition, even though February 14 marks one month since our wedding, I do not celebrate those kinds of anniversaries either... our anniversary is the day we got married. That is it. My calendar is not marked with "day we met", "day we kissed", "day we first ate lobster together" anniversaries. When people ask us how long we've been together, the hubby and I stare at each other with pleading eyes, hoping the other has some clue. Um, three years? That seems about right. But don't let my cynicism ruin your day... go out, have fun and enjoy your $400 dinner. XOXO

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

The best is when the female says she doesn't really get into V-day, and she's watching her figure so she doesn't want chocolate or to go out to dinner...

Heaven help the man who actually takes her at her word.

12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home