Wednesday, March 08, 2006

I've Got Time to Kill...

So I've started a new position at my company. It's fun, so far. I like learning new things and working with new people and feeling like I've made a big change in my life when in actuality I am sitting right down the hall from my old life. It's like the Seinfeld episode when Elaine makes new friends, exactly the opposite of her old friends and feels awkward about it. Kind of like that.

Well, this new great job allows me to come in at 9:AM, take an hour lunch at my leisure, and leave at 5:PM. Not 5:30, not 6:00. 5:PM. This is such a new concept to me. I have so much time to do all the things that I couldn't do before. I can make plans. I can see friends. I can work out. I can go grocery shopping and cook dinner for my hubby. I can do it all! No, I have not yet done any of these things, but give me a break; it's only been a week since my "transition".

I almost feel as if I've been given some kind of a gift and now I don't know what to do with it. Like "here's your spaceship! Enjoy!" You sit and stare at it and marvel at how cool it looks, but then what. I feel totally guilty walking by my old co-workers as I'm leaving at 5... I don't want to gloat or make them feel jealous. I'm sure they are fine; after all, they are still making the overtime that I gave up so I could reclaim my life. But part of me feels badly about it, so walks extra quickly down the hall so they don't notice me leaving.

The point is, I'm BACK! I'm ready to start running again. I want to take some classes. I want to write more in my blog now that I have this new improved outlook on life. It's a kinder, gentler more well-rested Tracy... well, until tomorrow when I start bitching about my workload or my new co-workers or having too much time on my hands. But in the meantime, happy hour anyone????

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

You can do all of this by reclaiming an hour or two every day? Imagine if you cut back to half days, you could cure cancer in a matter of weeks!

11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home