Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Congestion Ahead

If you are a driver who slows down for the following reasons, causing everyone behind you to slow down, thus creating congestion, I hate you:

• Orange cones/barrels along the side of the road. Just to let you know, most construction does not take place on Sundays. You do not need to slow down just b/c you see these markers.

• A car pulled over to the side of the road. Sometimes people just need to stretch. You do not need to watch.

• A car pulled over by a police officer. It is not you who is being issued a ticket. Count yourself lucky, and move on.

• A split in the roadway. There are signs warning you about a mile ahead of the split as to what is going to happen. Decide then which way you want to go, get in the appropriate lane and continue on your merry way.

I took a trip from Virginia to New York this weekend. The trip back which should have taken 5 hours, took 7. There were no accidents. No closed lanes. Nothing that should have warranted the traffic that we encountered. Except every time one of the aforementioned things occurred, traffic. It would go away as quickly as it appeared. Made no sense to me at all.

So please just keep on keepin' on because my road rage is getting less easy for me to control. Maybe I have just become more impatient with the inadequacies of the rest of mankind. I'm a quiet person by nature, but not when I'm behind the wheel. I will call you names, give you looks, throw my hands up in exasperation. But I will still continue to drive safely yet as fast as conditions allow. So if you're going to slow down every time you see something (ANYTHING!), just move aside and let the rest of us who know how to drive get by.

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Welcome to Virginia. Hell it's probably like that everywhere. Don't forget the brake-jumpers, who will slow down if the brake lights of the person in front of them should come on. Hint: try to judge if the person is actually slowing down, or if they're just touching the pedal enough to activate the light. If it's a quick brake light flash and you slow down, you should be shot.

My other favorite: people slowing down to read the digital sign that reads "CONGESTION AHEAD". Yep, and now there's congestion by the sign too.

6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home