Friday, April 28, 2006

A Room With A View

I am being taken away this weekend. Not far... only about an hour and a half away from this lovely, but sometimes hard to handle, place I call home. Last night, the hubby spontaneously decided that we need to get away and he had an idea. Though I helped a little in making the plan a reality, this would not have happened if he didn't say those magical words... "why don't we go away for the weekend?"

To me, that is the ultimate in romance. I don't need flowers (though, I must say, my hubby brings some home every week), mushy cards, jewelry and gifts. I want to do the simple things... walk hand-in-hand through Central Park. Spend a day skiing followed by sipping wine in front of a fire. Getting on a plane or in a car for a trip to someplace we've never been. Sitting in the neighborhood pub, eating sandwiches, playing pool and drinking a beer. It's the time together, wherever it is, that means the most to me.

But sometimes, the act of getting away from it all... the dishes in the sink, the dust bunnies, the bills, the computer and cell phones... is a necessity. I feel like the girl that gets flowers sent to her at work on her birthday... really special! I'm grinning stupidly from ear-to-ear, telling people that we are going to NEW PALTZ. My friends laugh. Big deal. Well, as silly as that may be, I've never been. We're staying in a mountainside B&B and we can go hiking, biking or on a wine tour. The mere thought of fresh fruit and granola for breakfast makes me even happier.

So, if you are a man and you are reading this and you don't know how to make your significant other feel special, or think that you do that already, a way to score some extra points is to do what my hubby has done. Make a simple plan to whisk her away someplace not too far but still different and new. Trust me... if your girl is anything like me, she will be so happy, the two of you might not even leave that little mountainside bedroom.

(P.S. For those of you who think I am a braggart, who thinks her husband is the best man in the world, keep in mind that it is not a coincidence that this posting follows the Men Are From Mars post... I guess sometimes he does listen or else I have successfully beat him down so badly about not picking up his socks, that he saw no other alternative than to placate me with a trip. Either way, I am not complaining.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home