Wednesday, May 03, 2006

A Dollar and A Dream

People work for a variety of reasons. Mostly to pay the rent/mortgage, I would guess, with anything extra going to food and entertainment/shopping. I work to travel (after rent and eating, of course). I have a trip coming up in June. A short weekend getaway with my sister and a friend to the Bahamas. That has not even come and gone and I already have my next trip practically planned. It's a Portugal/Spain adventure in October. I know where we'll be staying, our itinerary, how to get from one place to another and have already requested the days off at work.

Is it a mental condition? Am I too afraid of being depressed after returning from one vacation, that I need the next trip visible on the horizon? Possibly. Or is it a way for me to ensure that I won't storm out of my job one day out of mere frustration because I must keep my job in order to keep my accrued PTOs and my monthly income so that I can see all the places I dream of.

And to top it off, not only am I constantly planning something, I am selfish about it as well. I don't want to stop traveling once I have children. Some of the locations may be skewed towards more kid-friendly locales, but I don't mind having the grandparents or aunts/uncles babysit for a week while the hubby and I traipse around without the munchkins in tow.

So I'll spend what little I have, while I have it and hopefully fulfill my lifelong dream of seeing as much of the world as I can before I die. We may not end up with the most beautiful house or the nicest cars, etc. but those photo albums showing the trips we have taken will be worth more to me than anything else. So prepare yourself, when you come to our shabby-chic home, for hours of browsing through photos and "Oh, that carpet? We got that on our trip to Bangladesh." Obnoxious, I know. (Perhaps I should be warning the hubby of my future plans instead of you... after all, his lust for travel is a lot less strong than mine and he would prefer the luxury car to a trip to the mountains of Russia to discover his roots...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home