Wednesday, June 21, 2006

I Hate Schwoopies

Last night, I went to see Tom Petty at the Garden. What an awesome concert! Stevie Nicks surprised us by making an appearance and singing four songs with the star himself. She's still hot, even though the hubby described her as looking like "two people in one of those costumes where one person is the head and the other is the tail" which will forever make the think of Stevie as wearing a cow suit at that show. But the artists were true to form... Tom in his skinny-legged pants, red shirt and vest, Stevie in a flowing, corseted dress, scarves and bangles on her microphone. Nothing could have been better about the show... EXCEPT for the fact that we weren't the only people there. And I hate other people.

At first, we thought we had the perfect seats. There was a wall behind us and our seats were on the end of our row, with no seats directly in front of us allowing us room to stretch our legs. Well, my eyes kept darting to this couple sitting in front of me, sort of to the right of me. The stage was slightly off to my left, so I couldn't understand why my attention kept getting drawn back to the right. Well, it was because this couple (who we decided had taken the train in from somewhere in Pennsylvania, based solely on their attire) were so in love, that they couldn't keep their hands off of each other. But the way in which they showed their attention to each other was by play-fighting and acting out all of the lyrics while doing this. Imagine "Running Down a Dream", as he and she pretending to be running away from each other. Or "Don't Come Around Here No More" as they pretended that she was stalking him and he had to rough her up, really aggressively so that her hair was flying all over the place, to get the point that he didn't want her around anymore. He was just kidding, of course, though I so wished he weren't. Add to this inane, annoying behavior them staring deeply into each other's eyes, then smooching (audibly) or giving 100 pecks on the cheek. They were the ultimate "Schwoopie" couple (if you know Seinfeld, you'll know what I mean). The couple that everyone hates. And to make it worse, he was there with three of his male friends who did nothing to intercept this behavior.

My hubby was oblivious so, selfishly since I wanted everyone to hate them as much as I did, I had to point it out to him. He couldn't believe how they were being. Song after song, play-fighting and bringing the lyrics to life via their play-acting, exchanging lovey-dovey looks and kisses, poking, tickling, slapping. Terrible fashion sense. He hated them, too. Mission accomplished.

1 Comments:

Blogger Trinity2 said...

I know exactly what you mean! I love going to concerts but there is always at least one person there who is really annoying that one remembers even after the concert!
Great post, btw!

5:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home