Friday, June 09, 2006

I Wonder What a 3-Star Hotel Would Be Like

So the trip to the Bahamas was fun in the sun and very relaxing. Infinity pools, pina coladas, the scent of sunscreen wafting through the air. And really bad cuisine. And a hotel that almost charged us $130 extra by mistake. A mini-bar with a sensor so that you can't even peek at what they have to offer for fear of being charged an unspecified amount. Knowing this hotel, that charges $4 for a coffee, I can only imagine what that amount would be. Only two drawers in which to put your clothes and a spacious closet, with only 8 hangers.

If I ran a hotel, there would be no hidden costs. Feel free to peek inside the mini-bar. I'd provide a dresser for clothing and extra hangers. Every time the phone was picked up would not cost my guests twenty cents. There would be no little lip that the sliding glass door fits into jutting up so that you trip every time stepping out onto the balcony ten stories up. That was scary. The poolside menu would offer more, and it wouldn't cost nearly as much for a chicken sandwich. The pina coladas would use real fruit, not the syrupy stuff that is flavored like real fruit.

I am not complaining about my vacation. I had a wonderful time, and I am really easy to please despite what this blog may suggest. I just feel that if I am paying good money to stay in a reputable hotel that considers itself to be a higher-level establishment, there should be a few perks to make me feel like I'm on vacation. I mean, even the ice machine down the hall was not in working order for crying out loud! No cold drinks for us, unless we want to risk a $20 bottle of water from the mini-bar. Still without the ice. Yes, the bed was heavenly, but the sheets didn't fit properly (as many a Trip Advisor commentator had mentioned) so we found ourselves sleeping on the bare mattress a couple of times.

But, I did get a deal on the room and earned extra miles along the way, so I'm still a happy camper. Or at least I should be. Camping is probably the way to go... less expectations and probably better coffee.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home