Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Be What You Wanna Be

Every year when Halloween rolled around, I wanted to be one thing and one thing only. Cat Woman. My mother had made me a costume and I loved it to pieces. It was basically cat ears and a belt with a tail attached and then a leotard with superhero embellishments on the wrists. Regardless of its simplicity, I wanted to be that each year and yet was completely, utterly shocked and surprised when the neighbors knew it was me. (OK, maybe you'll have to disregard my previous post about my intelligence.)

My sister was usually Wonder Woman. We would all get dressed up, forced to put our winter coats on over our costumes, then got in the car and went to the good neighborhoods to go trick-or-treating. Remember, we lived on a road with 6 other houses. Not a lot of candy to be had there. We had to go to a Development and would eventually end up at our grandmother's house. Eager to eat the candy, my mother wouldn't allow it until she went through it piece-by-piece. We grew up in a world in which the news would air their propaganda about razor blades in apples and the like. I think it was just a ploy for my parents to get all the good chocolate bars. But I digress.

So, I love Halloween and the thought that kids can be anything they want to be, even if it is the same thing year after year. And saying that, I'd like to share a photo of my nephew, in his costume from last year, which will be resurrected again this year. Enjoy the absolute cuteness:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home