Friday, August 18, 2006

Beyond A Reasonable Doubt

I am so disturbed by the image of the creepy man-boy who confessed to killing JonBenet Ramsey. In all honesty, I am disturbed by little beauty pageant boys and girls, too, but not in the same way. The photo of this guy just makes me cringe. His pale skin and narrow shoulders and chicken neck. And the look on his face. But what is disturbing me the most is that I don't believe that he killed her. I want to believe it. I want it to be true. I want the DNA evidence to prove it all. But something is just not right. He's obviously mentally disturbed either way and has a history of pedophilia, but if it turns out that he's confessed to this crime solely because of his fixation for a little girl that he really had never known, then I will feel very sorry for America.

How quickly we change our tune. Just two days ago, if asked about this crime, many people would respond with "Oh, I know the father did it" or "the mother was definitely involved" or "it was her older brother... he was so jealous of her." We chided the way they acted and the route they took with the investigators. Well, what would you do in the same situation? Doubt you really have any idea how you would respond to something so horrifying. Enter suspect. We all now respond with "Oh, that poor family and what they've been through!", "If only the mother could be alive to see justice being served." We, America, the world, are the same people that turned against the Ramsey's after their daughter was killed. We vilified them regardless of what proof there was to prove otherwise. And now we turn immediately on our heels, ready to crucify somebody else, so happy that he's been caught. If it really is the murderer. And what about 10-years ago, when you were all so sure it was the Ramsey's? How would you have felt if they had been brought up on charges, and sentenced to prison or even death? And if the DNA proves that this confession is a load of bull, will we then swing around again, pointing the finger once more at the Ramsey family? "It really was you! I knew it all along!"

My point being, we are an emotional people. We all want to know what happened. And perhaps we'll get lucky and can all breathe a big sigh of relief if this man was the one. But wait for the DNA. See whether this case is really solved, or whether it is just taking another twisted turn. And don't be as quick to jump to judgement as I was when I first saw that creepy photo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home