Monday, August 07, 2006

Drink Drank Drunk

Whenever I go, I have a hard time deciding what to drink. I happen to enjoy drinking, in moderation, and definitely have my favorites but sometimes the location, time of day, event are things I must take into consideration before committing to a drink choice.

My favorites are dirty (filthy!) martinis, red wine and beer. The problem here is that I can really only have one, maybe two martinis before I become "Mean Drunk Tracy Who Thinks Everyone Around Her Finds Her Sarcastic Wit to Be Incredibly Funny". But I LOVE the taste, when they are made right, and could down about 10 before I fall flat on my face, having offended everyone in my path. Red wine is a good choice on most occasions, except when we are someplace sweltering hot, or if I or anybody around me is wearing white. (For those of you who don't know, I was the person who, at my brother's first wedding, decided that leaving my bright red vodka cranberry aside while I danced was inconvenient and, during a fancy dance twirl, managed to spill my drink down the back of the bride's white satin dress. Oops.) Beer, though not a cause of many embarrassing moments except in college during "Beat the Clock" and nickel drafts, is very filling but nice on a hot summer day or with a grilled chicken sandwich. I used to be able to drink pints and pints of Black and Tans, and could probably still get my drink on in that way, but the only place that is appropriate is in a dark Irish pub in the afternoon. Not many people my age are still into that sort of activity, so...

I was at a wedding this weekend. It was an early one, called for 11:30AM. I didn't know what to drink. I don't like champagne or white wine. I don't even like vodka cranberry though that is what I ultimately always end up choosing at events like these. Also, I didn't really feel like drinking. It was early and I knew the party would continue way after the wedding ended. I just don't have it in me anymore. So after a couple of drinks that I merely sipped before returning to my table to find the glass gone, I resorted to sobriety. Later, at the bar, I had one delicious martini after which I decided, upon hearing myself start to talk much more than usual and at a high-speed, that I was too late to the game. Everyone else was 7 hours into their drinking, and I had just begun. I ordered a seltzer after that and called it an evening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home