Friday, August 04, 2006

Jog My Mind

I need to start running again. Mostly, I need the therapy that occurs during a run. Whether I'm running with a girlfriend, talking about everything under the sun (mainly, ourselves!) or running alone, contemplating whatever it is on my mind that day, I miss the release and the calm that comes from a good run.

I don't belong to a gym anymore, because I never went and was tired of paying for it. Waiting for the treadmill to become available if I went during peak hours, or stressing about getting back to work before anyone starts looking for me if I snuck out during lunch just wasn't doing it for me. The park is (was) my gym, and I have spent countless hours within it, running loops and feeling good about my life and myself.

Yet, after completing 3 marathons, I felt I didn't need to run as hard to stay in shape. But I forgot to take my mental health into consideration. I do still run, a couple of miles at a time, on occasion, but it's not enough. I need consistency. I need to be out there at least 4 times a week, feeling as if I've accomplished something on my own. And I did start to get into that schedule again now that my job does not require me to stay later than 5:PM. But then the heat wave rolled in. From my previous post, you know how I feel about the heat. I cannot sweat more on top of the sweat I get just being alive in this weather.

But I hear a cool front is coming and I just hope that will get me back out there, running. People say "what are you running from?" to be funny when you are a runner. But what they should say is "what are you running towards?" because I know that after a good run, I will be closer to sane, closer to calm, closer to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home