Friday, August 11, 2006

Like Me

Have you ever had friendship forced upon you? People want you to be friends with someone so they will urge whenever you are together, hinting at all the things you have in common, hoping that plans will form from their pressure? Awkward attempts will be made, one of the parties involved (usually me) will rebel and avoid the "let's get together sometime" conversation at all costs.

Or you'll find people in the world that think you are better friends than you actually are, not realizing that you have nothing in common? These friends will call you four times to confirm plans for that evening, not caring that they woke you up or even realizing that the so-called plan was actually a wishy-washy attempt at not hurting their feelings. "Sure, maybe we can grab a drink sometime..." "How about Saturday?" "Well, that might work."

See, my feeling is this: relationships develop naturally. If forced, there is no hope that they will thrive. Just because so-and-so thinks that you should be friends, doesn't mean that you really should. I'm not saying that everyone wants to be my friend and I have enough already so fuck off. What I'm saying is that if people are meant to be friends, it will happen. All of my best friends are people I met spontaneously, at work, at college, through a shared activity. Let things happen as they will. And if it doesn't, just let it go.

Trust me. I've been there... really wanting to be friends with someone only to find that things don't work out. Once I chased a girl I thought was cool around a pool table hoping that she would like me and want to be friends (I was drunk on martinis and the hubby still makes fun of me for it!) But don't take it so hard... some people don't even want to be around their own family members.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home