Monday, September 11, 2006

Sweet and Salty

Usually stupid human behavior is something that really irks me. I find it very interesting how people will react similarly in certain situations, yet I guess it's the typical-ness of those behaviors that irritates me. But here is a human behavioral thing that I actually find quite endearing and cute: I love it when people on boats wave, so happily, at the people on shore.

I don't know why they (we) do it, but I know I have been known to do the same. It's like "I see you. Do you see me? Out here on this boat? Hi." It's not conceited, like "look at me on my giant yacht" but more genuinely happy, like "I'm having a really good time and wish you were out here with us!" Maybe it is because my father was a seafaring man (in the Navy during his young adult life and a boat-owner later on) but mostly it is the sweetness of the gesture. And the desire in myself to wave back when in the past, with other such displays, I would not feel so inclined. Perhaps it reminds me of being a kid, driving down the highway, looking out for truckers to make that up-and-down hand motion to until they honked their big, loud, foghorn-sounding horns. And when they did (not all of them would), me and the other kids in the car with me would look at each other and smile, perhaps even high-five: SUCCESS! What a great feeling.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home