Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Word Games

I love word games. I play a game called GHOST with a friend of mine every time I see him. We'll be huddled in the corner of a bar, playing a quick round. "5 letters, you start." The object is to NOT spell a word, but go in the direction of spelling a legitimate word. You get the other person by forcing them to be the one to spell a word, with the minimum required amount of letters. Sounds confusing, but it's not and it's fun.

I love crossword puzzles... I live for the Sunday Times so I can grab the magazine and start my quest of completing it. Forget world news, gimme word games instead. When I was small, word sleuths and jumbles ruled my world. Scrabble played with my mom night after night was another way to get my fix. When not playing a word game, I'd be reading a book. Words, words, more words.

Now I've stumbled across a game and I am totally addicted. Fortunately the site is down currently, or else I may get fired over it! It's called Funny Farm and it can be found on www.jayisgames.com. The board begins with a category in the center, with boxes branching off of the category, each box has dashes depicted the number of letters in the word contained in that box. The connected boxes are part of the same "thought", if you will (for example, hen would be connected to egg), but some boxes branch out to connect to a new category. The object is to fill in all the boxes. It is a huge grid and so far I've only gotten ALMOST through one square and branched into two others, barely. So for example, the category is THINGS ON A FARM. So you start typing in your guesses and feel pretty dumb for a while until you get another one right. It's challenging and fun and right up my alley. (God, I wish you could lose weight when you work out your mind!!!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home