Monday, November 27, 2006

No Surprises

My mother makes the best Thanksgiving feast. Turkey. Spinach. Stuffing. Peas and carrots. Stringbean casserole. Mashed potatoes. Cranberry sauce. Pillsbury Crescent Rolls. And lots and lots of gravy. The best. For dessert, cheesecake. Oh, and a birthday cake for me.

Yes, my birthday falls on or around Thanksgiving. So, that means that at every Thanksgiving, there is birthday cake. This year Thanksgiving was with the in-laws. There were candles and singing. The following day, up to my mom's for a reprise of the meal, complete with the delicious dishes mentioned above. More singing. Prior to that, the in-laws took me to brunch. Singing in public. Today, my co-workers will take me for lunch. Please, let there be no singing. Tonight, the hubby takes me out. Tomorrow, dinner with my college friends. Sometime later in the week, drinks with some other friends. Will it ever end?

I am not big on the birthday celebrating. It's funny, because one would think that I am, based on all the celebrating that happens. But it is not by choice. Everyone wants to have a piece of the party. And it's nice. Don't get me wrong. It is nice to be liked, to be loved. And I want to celebrate everybody elses birthday, so I do understand. Make them feel special.

It's the attention that I don't like. I get embarrassed with the candles and the singing. Opening cards and gifts in front of people. I just don't like that. I do like presents, of course. And a sentimental card is always nice, too. Just keep it quiet. A moment between us. Nobody else needs to know. Plus, who likes getting older. Next year, I'll be 35. Oh, which brings me to another point: never EVER EVER throw me a surprise anything!!! I cannot handle it, I don't want it and it will be the worst thing ever. Instead of saying "We love you" that would scream "We hate you and want to watch you suffer!" in my mind. Pass it on.

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

You end up celebrating more of a birthweek. I can sympathize with the discomfort from the attention, I don't like being the focus of the conversation. Somehow I (purposely) end up being busy around my birthday which prevents me from visiting home every year. Darn.

I'll even take it a step further to say I don't even like getting presents. Part of it is the fact that if I want it, I've already bought it or it's WAY too expensive to ask for as a gift. So I must suggest things that I don't really want or need because God forbid someone should actually listen when I say "Please don't buy me anything".

The other part is laziness. If you buy me something then I am obligated to return the favor.

2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home