Thursday, November 16, 2006

Post-Borat Guilt Syndrome

A week and a half ago, I went to see Borat. I don't watch the Ali G show, and had only read about the premise of the movie. I told my hubby a bit about it and off we went. Nervously, I laughed through the beginning, glancing over at hubby to see if he was enjoying himself. Cringing during certain scenes, practically covering my eyes, but still never looking away completely, I watched the film, and enjoyed it very much, considering Sasha Baron Cohen to be a comic genius of sorts. At one point (and if you've seen the movie, you'll know the scene of which I speak) I could not believe what was happening on screen. I sat there with my mouth agape, my hubby next to me, laughing so hard, tears streaming down his face that didn't end until the middle of the next scene. We left the theatre, singing the flick's praises, reliving certain scenes, commenting on the state of affairs in America.

A week passes. Then, slowly, perhaps after reading about the college boys who are suing the film, or about the other unwitting people who felt tricked into spending time with Borat, thinking they were really doing something kind, I began to feel guilty for laughing at their expense. I didn't feel badly for the people who easily slipped into bashing Jewish people or gays... they were showing their true colors, proudly, and didn't need much prompting. I felt bad for the people who were trying to maintain their composure, to guide Borat through his non-existent understanding of American manners or societal views. I started to think, what if that were me? How would I feel if I agreed to do something not knowing the full scope, and then made a fool out of myself in front of millions of people? How would I react?

I commend the people who were in the film, who after they realized what was going on were able to laugh at themselves and at the premise of the film. Because then they seem less like the butt of a good joke, and more like somebody who can appreciate one. Even if the joke's on them.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

I've tried to post a comment here three times, and three times Blogger.com has screwed me. Without even bringing me flowers first.

So fine, my response will have nothing to do with the topic at hand. *sigh* This was one of the reasons I abandoned my blog.

10:42 AM  
Blogger Tracy said...

Blogger is usually good to me. But last week it gave me a persistent ERROR message when I tried to post. Such a fickle site!

Anyway, found out that the prim and proper lady in the film who was embarrassed at her dinner party for Borat is now exploring her legal options as well. Even if any of these suits have merit, the film is going to just get bigger and bigger thanks to all this publicity. As they say, there is no such thing as negative publicity.

Speaking of negative things, don't get me started on the latest OJ Simpson news. A book called "If I Did It" and interviews to discuss it. This is when I get sick of the media. There are times when the media and we, the media consumers, need to say "No, I will not partake in this because I am morally opposed to what it stands for." (Perhaps why I was conflicted by my own liking of the Borat movie to begin with.)

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home