Thursday, December 07, 2006

The Mamas and The Papas

The check-out woman at the deli where I get my daily salad calls me Mommy. As in, "Will that be all, Mommy?", "Do you want bread with that, Mommy?" I find it a bit weird and cannot make eye contact with her. It just reminds me of sex. I wouldn't call anybody "Poppy" unless I wanted them to think I am coming onto them. Even if my hubby asks me to (and he has!) I can't do it with a straight face. There is something submissive and slutty about it. Hey, I can dirty talk with the best of them, but the whole Mommy/Poppy thing I feel like can only come out of the mouth of somebody who can also say "my baby daddy". I feel like that may sound a bit stereotypical (ok, a lot stereotypical), but let's face it. I'm a white girl from upstate new york. Me calling somebody Poppy, or responding non-chalantly to being called Mommy by the check-out girl is about as natural as me dancing the salsa.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home