Tuesday, January 23, 2007

It's MINE!

Currently, my department is going through some restructuring which includes reorganization of people and their workspaces. I was informed yesterday that I would move 4 cubes away from where I now sit. Not a big deal, I guess, even though I do like and have become attached to my private corner. Now I will be next to somebody whom I don't quite "get"... one of those people who asks a question with a huge smile on their face as they silently wait for you to fill the awkward silence they have created. Whatever. Then, I was informed that in this new space when I leave for the evening (because after all I am privileged to have the 9-5 shift) that I would have to share my space with one of the nightstaff.

Call me petty, but I have been here for almost 9 years and the one thing that I have always had was a space of my own. I don't want somebody's crumbs littering my desk or thier grubby hands on my keyboard and phone. I don't want them farting in my seat. I don't want to decorate my cube leaving room for him to put up a photo of his (fill in the blank... after all, I don't even know the guy!) I felt like something was being taken away from me. Like I was being punished for working the shift I have been assigned. But I also felt like nobody else in a higher up position would want to share THEIR cube so because of that, I didn't feel like I was being completely immature. Turns out, I spoke up and now I am fine and will have my own place again. Was this a battle I should have chosen? I think so!

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

I don't think you were being unreasonable at all. In fact, after 9 years I might consider demanding weekly backrubs and stocking the kitchen with Starbucks.

It's amazing what companies will try to get away with, regardless of your tenure. They exploit the quiet workers and cater to the squeaky wheels. I say squeak on, chica, you stood your ground when it mattered.

10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home