Thursday, January 25, 2007

Pass Me My Walker, So I Can Get the F Out of Here!

Tonight was my company holiday party. If you read back on last year's post regarding the same subject, you'll see that this was a definite step up (think crusty cheese in the office reception area and no alcohol). Yes, it's the end of January and the holidays are long forgotten, but regardless. It was at very nice city venue, which has great views and really good food to boot. The service was top-notch. Coat checks, people picking up empty glasses before they could hit the table. No lines at the buffets or bars. We were offered a bus ride to the event, and carpooling in nice car service vehicles to get home. Who could ask for more?

The problem? I miss the old days. I miss my old friends - the ones who have up and left and moved away to Texas and beyond. My partners in crime. The girls I would drink with, dance with, talk about people with. We would scope out the cute boys, even though we were in relationships. We would laugh as so-and-so dirty danced with the mailroom guy. Those were the nights that flew by, complete with a hangover so severe, even an egg and cheese on a roll the next morning couldn't fix it. But knowing everyone else was in the same boat as we were along with the memory of the evening made it all worthwhile.

Tonight, I wandered around, looking at all the people I did not know. Partly because of the merger, partly because my old friends have not stuck around for 9 years like I have. I felt old. I felt like a loser. My feet hurt. I didn't want to get too drunk because I have to go to motor vehicle really early tomorrow morning. Like I said, OLD! When once, all I wanted to do was stay out, tonight all I wanted was to go home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home