Tuesday, January 16, 2007

When I Grow Up

Read Does Debbie's blog to see what this posting is all about:

1. A writer. OK, I know it's not original. But I was an English major in college, I have been an avid reader since I learned how to string together my ABCs, I have never struggled to write a term paper and I have kept a journal since I was little. I have written poems, one of which my teacher said was publishable (but something I didn't
pursue because I am an underachiever and have fear of success/failure), I have written songs (well, just one and it wasn't very good), I have written short stories. I'm a word geek... I love crossword puzzles, Scrabble and word games. Words could be my life.

2. A dentist. I am obsessed with teeth. Never happy with my own, I would love to be a dentist, helping people to have the smile they've always longed for. I'd be so gentle that even people as fearful as I am of the dentist would be okay in my chair, and recommend their friends. I see it as an art-form, one I would approach with sensitivity and also creativity. I would be the type of dentist that I want for myself. One I have yet to find (I am open to recommendations of a great, gentle dentist in the NYC area, if anyone knows of one!)

3. A traveler. Someone who visits places all over the world, for money. Who writes articles, takes photos, sells tips to guide books. I would love to be able to see the world for work. Like The Amazing Race, only with a salary. That would be the best. I love to travel, and though it seems unachievable, one of my goals in life is to see it all... the entire world. Space travel doesn't interest me... Earth travel is where it's at, for me. But it would have to have a bit of luxury. I don't want to be camping out in the Amazon rainforest, by any stretch of the imagination, or atop Mt. Everest. I just want to find a way to make a living while partying at Carnivale or trekking through a medieval Italian village, searching out the finest and cheapest red wine.

4. A gardener or landscaper. Something that would keep me outside all day, no matter the season. Planting things. Working with dirt. I am a nature girl by heart, born and raised and schooled in the country. I love feeling connected to the earth and again, it is a creative way of making a living. I don't think I would be that great at it, though... I tend to think small when it comes to projects... little details that I can add to make something special, so it would be hard to envision how a mansion's grounds should look or how to achieve that look. Plus I have no training in it whatsoever. I just like the idea. Minus the ugly uniforms. Ooo, maybe a nature photographer instead.

5. A criminal pathologist. Kind of like Jodie Foster in Silence of the Lambs, but less scary. Just studying cases, finding out what makes somebody tick. Looking for clues. Checking DNA and fingerprints in the huge database. I don't know if my job title I've assigned is actually accurate. But if there is a job in which I could look over a case, come up with conclusions, scan evidence to come to a conclusion about whodunnit and why, I'm into it. I love puzzles, so each case would be like that. Trying to solve this complex puzzle, each little piece a bit more of the picture.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home