Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Today is a Day Like Any Other

Again, it's Valentine's Day. Again, I don't care. I am one of those rare women who don't give a damn about celebrating V-Day. I think it's cheesy (big teddy bears and flowers with babies breath... yuck!) and a rip-off. I'd like flowers on another day. Like, say, March 14th. A day when nobody else is getting flowers. Now that would say something to me, make me feel special. Publicly displayed flowers on this day just kind of embarrass me. I don't know why.

I remember being a kid and having to write a card out for everyone in the class. I would save the best of the bunch for the boys I had crushes on and then give the ugly cards to people I didn't know or like. As we got older, it wasn't mandatory to send a card to everyone, and I so I rarely accumulated very many. And usually the ones I did get were not from the boys I wanted to get one from. I used to think that I didn't like the day because I was single and all the roses I saw being carried down the street by the lucky men who get to deliver them to very happy women made me feel badly about myself. I have nobody to send me flowers I would gloomily think.

Now I'm not single and I still don't like the day. Luckily, my husband feels the same way. Though we did write some nice sentiments (his on a paper towel, mine inside a non-valentine's day card) to each other, and he's going to cook dinner tonight. Why? Because everyone asks what are you doing for Valentine's Day. At least we have an answer that sounds sort of romantic. The real truth is that I am going to the gym while he works a little bit late and then together we're going to the grocery store because my hubby lost his wallet so has no means to buy stuff for dinner even if he wanted to. He'll cook and I'll clean up. That is the way it always goes, V-Day or not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home