Friday, February 02, 2007

Work it Out

I'm considering re-joining a gym. I go through phases where I will work out like a crazy person during one phase, and then I will sit on the couch and watch endless hours of television when I'm in a different phase. Then there is the gray area when I exercise occasionally but not enough to see any of the effects. So I jump back into it and since it's winter now, I don't feel safe running around Brooklyn after work in the dark. So a gym it is. I have a two-week trial pass to see if I will actually go, and so far, so good. But being back also makes me remember what it is that I HATE about gyms.

1. Carrying all of my work-out gear to work: I end up bulkier and that makes it difficult to be comfortable on a crowded subway. Especially in the summer, when the back-pack makes me sweat.

2. The gym crowd: Luckily, my new job entitles me to leave the office at 5, and with the 1.5 block walk to the gym, I can be there before the crowd. But once they start rolling in, I start to feel a bit crowded and a bit pressured to get off of the cardio machines ASAP.

3. The crazy ladies in the locker room: Yesterday a woman HAD to find out if the scale in the locker room was off. According to her, she knows how much she weighs and even though she's PMSing, the scale cannot be right. She cannot weigh 2 lbs more than what she knows she weighs. "I mean, I'm not going to starve myself because of 2 lbs, but I just need to know if it's accurate!"

4. The men who think they own the weights: I like to do some low-grade weights just to tone up a bit. I hate feeling like I am being ogled out by Mr. Muscles because I am using the machines incorrectly, or cramping his space. I also hate that they hog up the mats that are designated for crunches/stretching, doing one million sit-ups. I just feel so uncomfortable being next to the work-out pros, never knowing if I am keeping my back straight enough, or doing it correctly. I can practically hear them snickering through their animal grunts.

5. The personal trainers: Their whole goal is to get you as a new client. But when they are standing around doing nothing, I feel it is okay to ask them about some of the machines and which would be best for what I want to accomplish. The guy I asked had such a cocky attitude, I just felt dumb for asking him. He showed me how to use a machine, but he was so off-putting I avoided walking by him again after that.

6. The yucky showers: They are just kind of nasty. And then the shampoo and conditioner provided doesn't smell good, either. At least the water pressure is great and the blow dryers work really well, too.

Oh, and don't get me started on the stuffy air and heat levels! But I love when I feel fit, so I will deal with all of the little nuisances so get back into my skinny jeans. At least before I end up knocked up. Which reminds me, I sure hope this gym provides babysitting services, because I will be all over getting rid of the baby fat once that does happen!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home