Thursday, March 29, 2007

Growing Old Gracefully

I am destined to have gray hair. (I also never know if the correct spelling is grey or gray, and I'm a really good speller.)

My mother has it, though she "frosts" to cover it up. My father had a full head of thick silver hair. My grandmother has white hair when once she was blond like me. White. No color at all. Now my wiry whites are poking through my dark roots. I am not one of those women who fear what I will look like when I'm old. I don't care for plastic surgery or worry too much about wrinkles. But when I start digging through my scalp, looking at the grays, I am reminded of just how not young I am. I am there. On the brink of a full head of silver hair. Once I get there, I'll have to decide "do I go for it, embrace it" or start the upkeep that will last a lifetime? Dying. Highlighting. Toucher-ups on a monthly basis. I get highlights now, but if I let it go for longer than I should nobody really notices. But once those sneaky, weird, coarse hairs (why do they have to grow straight up off of my head???) take over, I will probably start a stricter regiment. Or I could just shave it off, Britney style!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home