Monday, April 23, 2007

I Want Out

The weather has finally turned and it is beautiful outside. I love waking up to see the sun shining, feeling full of life, ready to start my day. Only to go into a dark cubicle surrounded by zero windows, imitation bright overhead and desk lights shining to simulate the sun that we will never get to see. And, on top of it, it is freezing in here. I come to work in a skirt and t-shirt and end up shivering throughout the day, trying to stay warm. My cute outfit is now overshadowed by the bulky sweatshirt that I have to wear to provide some warmth. I daydream of warm, cozy socks, hot chocolate, a fleece blanket.

My day starts with a bad case of spring fever and ends with a cold, runny nose. Perhaps a happy medium? Break down these cubes and let in some natural light. Let us see the blue sky that is rightfully ours for viewing. Get somebody to check out the heating/cooling system to see why my corner of the office is arctic, while other people are sweating at their desks. After so many cold days, with the threat of rain, throw us a bone. I know, I know. If my office was ideal, if I could indeed see the outdoors while working, would I be productive? I think so. But then again, I could just revert back to my schoolgirl ways and start staring out the window daydreaming about who knows what instead of focusing on the problem on the blackboard. It's days like this that make me think I'm not cut out for this office world. I should be working in Central Park, picking up sticks, driving a little cart around in my khakis. I love being outside. I just wish there were a way to bring a little of the outside in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home