Thursday, May 17, 2007

You Must Go!

I'm in advertising and recently I started to wonder "How subliminal is subliminal marketing?" I remember when I was young, in school, taking a fun class about advertising, being shown print ads that included subliminal messages. The liquor ad that had the word "sex" faintly written within the ice-filled glass, indiscernible to the unaware reader flipping through their magazine. Did they get the sudden urge to have some vodka? I'm not sure, but I like the idea of using the most discreet form of psychology to get people to buy your product. Kind of like having someone whisper in the ear of a person you are attracted to "She is SO pretty. You like her. You love her. She is so cool and popular" thus making you appear in a different, more flattering light.

The reason I started to think about this is that I am in the midst of planning a trip to Mexico. Never having been, I thought it would be the perfect long weekend getaway. We'd avoid the spring breakers and go south of Cancun where it's a little less crazy. Sounded divine. Until I started seeing the flight prices increase. And then, every person I knew either was also planning a trip to the same part of Mexico or knew somebody else who was. It seemed that the world was going to be where I wanted to be. And I was shocked. I mean, who goes to Mexico in the summer, when it's already hot here? And why had I never heard about this place before, and now when I discovered it, it seems like the most popular destination ever. Was there a hardcore marketing effort out there that I was unaware of? Was I being subliminally directed to go there by sneaky advertising, whispers in my ear?

Of course, I don't know. If I knew, it wouldn't be subliminal. But I am going to have to redirect my thinking and choose someplace else, where I can get the cheap airfare that I expected for this trip and stay in just as nice a place, without bumping into my colleagues in the infinity pool or while ordering an icy Corona. Perhaps I should start my own campaign, sending the airfare wars in a different direction, taking some attention off of my destination of choice. Perhaps a mass worldwide office email would do the trick? I just have to figure out how to hide my message, but make it impossible for people to resist the urge to go someplace, anyplace other than Mexico, in June.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home