Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Feeling Green

I'm not one prone to jealousy. Yet sometimes the ugly green monster rears its head at the most surprising times. For example, I am currently really happy with my job. I like what I'm doing, I love my hours and I'm even getting a bit of praise for the work I've been doing. All is well. The situation I came out of, although within the same company, was hell to my new-found heaven.

We are in the process of the company merger, which means people are being shuffled. I am staying in my current spot - a dark corner of the building, the only semblance of sunshine coming from the lightbox behind my desk. My old department, which hasn't changed much at all since I left, is moving. I am still close with those people; after all, we worked together for 7 years under extremely stressful situations. You're bound to grow tight.

So when I went by yesterday to say hello and saw all their boxes being packed, I felt a little nostalgic. It will be the first time I will not be moving along with them. In addition, I was shown the new area that they will be residing. They have windows! And wide open space! And extra desks! They have space for couches and are hoping to make it into a little lounge/bar area! I have to admit that I was jealous.

In addition, they are in the midst of a big project and all of them (and this is a first) will be going down to DC for four nights and staying in a gorgeous boutique hotel, with their families in tow! Again, I am so jealous. I feel left out. Like I used to be part of the popular crowd but then one day I wore the wrong jeans and now they don't talk to me anymore.

Do I miss the chaos and the long hours and the weekends spent in the office? No. But I do miss my friends. And I miss being part of something exciting. And I would love a window by my desk and a gorgeous hotel room and dinners out. I guess these are the perks that make them want to continue doing what I used to do. At the end of the day, the perks weren't enough for me. So I suppose it's finally setting in - it's time for me to truly move on and to accept where I am now in my life and realize how much better this is for me. It's just hard to realize that I am no longer one of them. After all, they are bound to grow tighter and I will no longer fit into that decreasing space between them.

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Ugh that sucks, I'm sorry to hear it. But yeah it's a trade-off anytime you move to a new department or new company. Higher pay but a longer commute, a better cafeteria but you share an office now.

There is a down side to having a window, like sitting in the afternoon sun as your office nears 80 degrees, but the AC doesn't kick on because the sensor is on the other side of your floor where people complain that it's getting too cold.

12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home