Monday, August 13, 2007

Save the Children

So begins the blogging about babies, and I'm not even pregnant. But the frustration and confusion have started already. OK, here is the scenario:

I'm at my OBGNY for my annual exam. I talk about trying to get pregnant and since my husband is Jewish, she suggested that we get the genetic testing started for him, since it takes a while to get the test results back. I had contacted my healthcare provided a long time ago about this, but it was so confusing (I was told it was covered but only if billed as "infertility", which made no sense to me whatsoever), and I wasn't pregnant, so I let it drop. So back on that trail, I contact HR who tells me to contact the healthcare company directly. I do and I am told that it is NOT covered regardless of whether I am or am not pregnant.

There are presently 13 (or something like that) genetic diseases/disorders that they test for, each of which has detrimental consequences and one of which has a name that intrigues/disgusts me at the same time (Maple Syrup Urine Disease, anyone?). So, I'm annoyed because testing for these diseases would definitely save the insurance company a lot of money in the long run, but of course they don't deem it necessary. I figure I would call the genetic testing places to see what the cost is since I'd rather be safe than sorry. I was told it would cost over $13,000 for those tests. I squeaked out a "thank you" and hung up the phone. I am not Paris Hilton. I do not have $13,000 laying around for genetic tests. Now, I'm really pissed off because I don't know what to do. I can't switch insurance until open enrollment in January and I don't even know if the other carrier covers the testing. We can't pay out-of-pocket for it and nobody seems to care or know the right answer.

I am not one of those people who could deal with whatever hand is dealt to me. I would rather be aware of the risks, knowing that my husband is a carrier of something, then get tested myself, than to be surprised after delivery. I would hope that insurance has the best interest of people in mind, but it's just not the way it is. Insurance doesn't offer alternatives. HR doesn't either. Could I go to Canada and get tested for free? What are my choices? Wait until I'm pregnant and then take it from there? So many what ifs and it's not even time to be worrying about such things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home