Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Misinformation and Too Much Information

So we saw the bean yesterday. Hubby says it looks like a teddy bear. So cute... big head, little dinosaur hands, teddy bear body. And a very fast heart beat. It was pretty cool. And now I know it really does exist and it's in there and alive. It still doesn't feel real, but it's one step closer to that.

After feeling the pressure from the mother-in-law to get the genetic testing taken care of, I called the center again to verify the cost. If you remember, they quoted me $13,000 the first time I called and since my insurance doesn't cover it, I thought there was no way we could go through with it. Well, turns out, according to a knowledgeable person at the research center, the cost would be $1,737 for the full Jewish panel screening tests. That's quite a difference, huh? So now it's up to the hubby to actually get his Jewish behind over there and get it done. He's resistant for whatever reason, but the results take a long time to get back so sooner is better than later. And his mother will be all over him to make an appointment, so I can stop nagging.

One thing I hate about pregnancy is being told what to do, how to do it, how so-and-so did it, etc. Everyone has an opinion, and usually the loudest of the bunch is the one I don't want to listen to. I'm tired of being compared to other previously pregnant people. I'm tired of being questioned about what we're going to do when the baby arrives and then judged for my response. I am allowed to raise this kid, with my husband, the way I see fit. I shouldn't have to explain why I am going back to work or why daycare is right for us. And what scares me is knowing that this is just the beginning. Once the kid does get here, the advice about how to raise him or her is going to be relentless. Everybody knows better. It's infuriating. I want to enjoy my sonogram photos and revel in the moment I'm in right now since I have no idea what tomorrow will bring. Why can't everyone just back off... I'm only 10 weeks along, for crying out loud!!! Cut me some slack! (Oh, yeah, once again, being the mathematical genius that I am, I miscounted the weeks, so it's one less than I thought... DUH!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home