Monday, December 10, 2007

The Things I Thought

When I was a kid, I believed that when you got married, you and your spouse were allowed to pick the last name that you wanted to have. I guess I was too young to associate my own last name with my parents marriage, or else I was just not the brightest bulb of the bunch. Anyway, I already had decided to change my first name to Shelley. What I considered the most beautiful of all names in the world. I had narrowed down my last name choices to three.

Firstly, Shelley Roller. I liked to roller skate and I thought that had a very nice ring to it.

Secondly, Shelley Coffee. My grandmother was giving us sweet coffee every Sunday after church, with our donuts, and I loved it. The smell, the taste and therefore thought it would make a very nice surname.

And lastly, Shelley Clover. In honor of one of my favorite pastimes which was searching our three little patches of lawn for four-leaf clovers. I don't know why I had this obsession. We weren't Irish, but I did know they were lucky and I was determined to find one. I never did but the search kept me occupied for many an idle sunny afternoon.

I also believed that my yellow lab, Sammy, had a tongue that was made out of ham. It looked like ham, and he was always drooling so I thought the drool was the result of having a yummy piece of ham for a tongue.

I was an odd child.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home